"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Monday, May 31, 2010

We Remember...



Last week while walking, I noticed tons of American flags showing up in our neighborhood.  Just about every house had one (or more) flags, bows, ribbons on (and around) their mailboxes. 

Slowly, day by day, each street in our subdivision was inundated with flags.  I thought, "you know that's really wonderful, someone is really generously patriotic to go around to each home and place a flag out front."

What I didn't know (as I don't follow the local news as I should) was that someone really was patriotic. 

A young man in our neighborhood died in Afghanistan last week.  He joined the army to find himself, to seek direction.

I can't begin to imagine what his family is going through.  I imagine that they have lost themselves...lost their sense of direction.

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it."
Thucydides

No comments:

Post a Comment