"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Farmers Market

We went to the Farmers Market this morning.  I've wanted to put up (freeze) some peaches. 



I've heard that since we didn't get a late frost and have had TONS of rain, that the farmers have had a bumper crop this year.

SM and I both noticed that prices were more reasonable this year.  Last year, watermelons sold for $8-$10...this year they're more reasonable at $3-$4.  Huge cantaloupes for $2.00.  Prices on tomatoes were $2 a lb.  (I thought that was still high.) 

We picked up a box of Freestone peaches for $14. 



Cherries for $2 a pint. (Just a taste)

Blueberries were $16 for a gallon.  (He told me he's got to move them and that last week they were $20 a gallon.  I have no idea if I overpaid or not...)



Huge green peppers for 50 cents each.  Makes me think I should leave farming to the professionals (grin).



I used Fruit Fresh and Splenda to "sauce" the peaches.  I've got 10 quart bags for winter eating plus 2 more quarts for fresh eating.  (Nothing tastes better than fresh peaches in the dead of winter.)

Speaking of eating... My heartburn is back. 

(I'm on a highway to hell...You know the AC/DC song?) (grin)

I thought the rantidine would kick it but "noooo".  My Dr's put me on Prilosec for a few weeks,  and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works.  I'd really like to know how someone who's never had a problem with heartburn can go from zero to "on fire" overnight!  No fun!

But on the upside, since I can't manage anything more than rice, some fruit and veggies... I've lost about 10 lbs.  Which I needed to do, but I'd rather not have health issues to be my motivator.

Also since going "gluten-dairy free" I'm no longer as bloated.  So I'm trying to make improvements.  Well...if things don't improve I might have to "suck it up" and go see my friendly GI Dr.  Whoo hooo!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment