"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Saturday, September 11, 2010

And So It Begins

We're finally getting some rain today.



I went back and looked at our precipitation history (TWC)... the last time we had rain here was 8-19. 

A few weeks ago I pulled up the spring garden and I'm really missing the veggies.  Last weekend was too hot to do anything with, but this weekend and upcoming week look milder with lows in the 60's and highs in the mid to upper 80's.

I went ahead and bought some seeds today.  Since I'm new at this, I'm not "loyal" to any one particular brand of seed.  I'm sure that will come as I gain more experience.  The nursery I went to today had Burbee so that's what I bought.



So for direct seeding...

2 varieties of leaf lettuces and a "salad bowl" partial packet from this spring that did very well.  Early peas.  Carrots.  Winter squash. 

The latest harvest dates on what I'll direct sow are about 60-70 days which puts me about mid November.  We usually don't get really cold weather until December or later so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.



I found broccoli, cauliflower and spinach plants so I went ahead and snagged those too. 



The nursery had lots of cabbage and collards but those aren't a mainstay in our diet yet, so I think I will buy them at the store for now and integrate them into our diet this winter so we develop a taste for them.  

I have a BIG backyard so we have time to grow into our tastes and enlarge the garden as those tastes develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment