"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Monday, October 18, 2010

Last Day Off

*Back to work tomorrow.  I'll see if I can suffer through.  Then I'm doing another 4 day weekend at the end of the month.  Yeah Me!*

I zoomed through 3 library books the past few days, so I stopped by to drop those off and picked up 3 more.  Shocker! 

Our small towns' library is on reduced hours. Strangely, they're closed on Saturdays.  Huh?  I also feel that I've gone through most of what interests me at this extension.  I know I can order books from the Main Library in our county but I never really know if I want to read a book until I pick it up.  I like to flip through it, read the jackets.

There's a reason I will likely never own a Kindle.  (I don't even have a cell phone but that's another story...Anti-social Me.)

I love the feel of a book in my lap.  I love bookstores, library's, second hand book sellers...I have a mini arsenal of my favorite all time books.  Some from my childhood.  (Little House on the Prairie anyone?)  I re-read my favorites when I can't find anything at the library.

I used to have a book habit.  Just about every month I'd go to the bookstore and buy $50 worth of books.  The one's I liked, I kept.  The others I'd donate to the library.

A few years ago I realized how silly this was.  I can borrow a book for free.

On my back and forth to the "Big City" where I work, I pass not one but two of the city library's.  I found out from a co-worker that since I live in another county, I'll have to $pay$ a yearly fee to borrow from them.

For some reason this annoys me.  Not sure why as I know that state and local services are stretched pretty thin.  And it's still cheaper than buying books.

We'll see.  I should try my county's Main Library first.  They're 30 min in the opposite direction.  And I think they're closed on Saturdays too.  Sigh.

Today I made Chicken Soup.  Well, it's more like Chicken Stew actually.  I like a hearty soup.



Start off with a crock pot chicken, heavily seasoned.



Rough chop your favorite veggies and I like to parboil them. Drain and set aside.

Separate your meat and stock. I save the breasts for my lunches this week, all the rest of the meat goes in the pot.  Add some more water (?4-5 cups?) to the stock from the crock pot, along with a stick of butter.  (You heard me.)  Salt and pepper to taste.  Turn off the heat and add your veggies and meat and let it all sit.



Oh....I used to add noodles to my soups but since I'm GF now (and I'm not paying those ridiculous prices for rice based noodles) I added some rice instead.



Chicken scraps (no bones) for the pups.



Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm. Your chicken soup looks really tasty. We like hearty soups too.

    I'm impressed you read those books so fast! It takes me forever to read a book. It didn't used to be like that, but nowadays I just don't seem to get around to reading as much as I used to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It usually takes me longer to read a book. Some of them were what I like to call "Vacation Books". Easy reads. Plus I was in the mood to be lazy...no projects.

    You have WAY more responsibilities than I have.

    ReplyDelete