"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Monday, November 1, 2010

Not in My Backyard

Locally, our colors have been pretty drab this year.  We had one of the wettest springs, and one of the hottest, driest summers.  Consequently, everything is turning brown and falling off.  No real fall color around here.

So while my backyard is drab, I took my camera with me in the car in hopes that I'd find a little bit of color around town.  



I went to my 6 week follow up apt with the gastro Dr this morning.  Nothing new to report as I'm still in the "healing" phase of the gastritis.  I spoke with the NP today and she feels that, because the gastritis/H Hernia combination flared at the same time, it's likely that I may actually resolve enough to get off the meds...eventually.



We discussed how to "taper" off the meds.  She wants me to continue "as is" for another month, then slow taper on the Bethanechol, then slow taper on the Zegerid.



I asked about the rebound effect of coming off PPI's.  She acknowledges that I will have to "suck it up" at some point, but suggested Pepcid Complete (OTC) when I have my rebound flare.  Pepcid is a "reducer" where Zegerid is a PPI "inhibitor."

PPI's inhibit the formation of stomach acid.  Once you are off the med, the body responds aggressively by producing MORE acid which gives you reflux again.  Using an acid reducer during that time can help you over the "hump" until your body calms back down.

At least that's the theory.  I knew about the rebound effect when I started the meds...and wasn't happy about it...but if you give a person enough pain, they reconsider.  I know I did.

Since I don't have a crystal ball, I just have to take it one day at a time.  My NP feels that I should be able to come off the meds since I had no complaint with reflux prior to the gastritis attack. 

My pain started with taking NSAIDS (Ibuprofen) on an empty stomach because of a migraine that I was having. 

Remember kids, always take your pain relievers with some food.  I know I learned my lesson.

I went out later this morning and thinned the carrots again.



Look!  Little carrots forming! 

The peas aren't blooming yet and nothing is happening with the Brocc/Cauli.  I know I started the fall garden later than I would have wished.  It was just so HOT.  But the price I'll pay for my late start is no production...sigh.  SM says that we are forecast to have a hard freeze this weekend.

Oh well, you live and you learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment