Monday, November 1, 2010

What House Hunters International Has Taught Me

House Hunters on HGTV is a good show. 

House Hunters International is right up my alley.  As I've mentioned before, I love reading, seeing, learning how other people choose to live their life.

And I learned a few important things from the show.

I'd never be able to buy a home.  Oh, I could rent or lease a place for a while...(a very short while)...but I don't think I could actually afford to buy a home/apartment/condo.  Most homes on the show, (even the "ratty" ones) are 3-4 times what we paid for our house (or more)!

And the space!  America is s p r e a d out.  I like the country, I like the burbs.  I like the quiet.

I'd want to live in a city.  (Big contradiction here)  Even though I'm not big on people living one on top of another, I'd suck it up if I lived overseas to have public transportation and accessibility to everything you need.  Wouldn't it be nice not to have a car?  To be able to bike or walk or use a bus/train to where you need to be? 

The trade off of course is the loss of privacy.

I'd have to eat out more often, shop more often.  I guess we take food storage seriously here in the states.  Tiny little fridges over there.  No cabinets for storage.  Where would I put my 5 lb bag of egg noodles I just bought at Sam's Club?  What!  No Sam's Club? 

What's with the bathrooms?  Gosh, I never thought I'd see the "Spa" bathrooms that so many McMansions in America have these days.  I mean, it does need to be functional, but ewww, some of them need really need to be brought up to speed.

I need space.  I need air to breathe, a big sky to sit under.  I need elbow room.  I get the feeling that it's congested over there.  Heck, it's getting congested over here!

Whenever I watch HHI... I get the feeling that living overseas is like being on  vacation.  I've lived 40+ years in the states, this is my reality.

So to live in another country would be like living on a vacation.  It's so different it would be like a fantasy. 

Would I miss this?  Maybe eventually, but it would be so cool to have the chance to live that life.

2 comments:

  1. Lots cheaper and less crowded the way we do it. Can shop at Sam's too. It feels like vacation yet home every night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a really interesting show. And this from a person who doesn't watch TV. It is interesting to learn how others live. Fascinating, actually.

    ReplyDelete