"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Some of My Favorite Books

Sometimes I come up empty at the library. 

I might bring home a book or two and I sometimes get lucky enough to find a book that captures my attention. 

This last visit fell flat.  What a dud.

I picked-up The Greenlanders and The Last Templar.




Greenlanders I couldn't get past page 10ish. The Last Templar I got through about 2/3rds and said "Geez...enough already."

Times like these I fall back on my favorites.  My Bookshelf.

If I find a book I'm really "head over heels" for, than I buy it.

Since the winter is long and ideas for posts can sometimes be limited, I thought I'd offer up Some of My Favorite Books for discussion.



Karleen Koen's Through a Glass Darkly.  Wonderful book. Wonderful characters.  I found my book at a second hand shop for $5.99 (still has the tag on it) copy write 1986.  Her sequel And Now Face To Face was just "OK." Worth reading, but it didn't make my bookshelf.

(From an article found on The Romance Reader)


Through A Glass Darkly is set in 1715 through 1720 and is the story of a young woman's coming of age during the midst of the crowning of a new king and a later financial crisis, similar to our Great Depression in the 1930s. It's a tale of first love, greed, and the building and destruction of personal empire. In it, the relationship between the heroine, Barbara, and her grandmother, Alice, is poignant, funny, and key to the plot.

I don't want to spoil the rest of the story but if you're looking for a good read
Through a Glass Darkly gets my 500 Tomato's approval!

** Note:  I found this book on (Click here Google Books) for a free preview!  Take a peek and see if you like it!

2 comments:

  1. I'm in need of something new to read. Besides gardening books that is! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More to come, Leigh. The funny thing about books though is that some books "I'll love"...
    but "you'll hate".

    This happens all the time at work, I'll receive a book that a friend that she thinks it's wonderful and it's just blah to me.

    I'll try to include "previews" when I can.

    ReplyDelete