"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Friday, April 29, 2011

Timing Is Everything

When I looked back on my production/successes of my 2010 garden, I felt that my biggest mistakes had to do with timing.

Planting too soon or too late impacts your potential harvest.

Knowing that peppers and tomatoes are essentially tropical plants, I tried to shoot for planting them in the garden between May 1st and May 15th.  The peppers are fine, size wise...but the tomatoes have overstayed their welcome by about 2 weeks.  

 
These guys are monsters and have outgrown the space under the grow light.  So at night everyone is crowded around the kitchen table.  During the day, they all hang out, weather permiting, on the back porch.  (*I've already made a note for next year to delay starting them by pushing back the date by 2-3 weeks.)

So far, none of them are leaning or falling over but I'd really love to get them into the ground.  Our last frost date is April 15th so I'm not concerned about a frost as much as I know they won't really thrive unless the night time temperatures stay above 55 or so.  60 would be best.

The past 2 weeks have been above average temperature wise but very windy with harsh storms every few days.  Add to that, I was wanting to plant today as SM and I will get the fencing completed and my gardening "moon chart" says that today is a good day.  Next weekend, Mother's Day weekend, also looks good.  Can I get these guys to hang in there for another week?

Last night we dropped to 46 for a low with tonight expected to be the same.  OK...so whats a few more days?  I've waited this long already. We have a few more cool days forcasted for this coming week.

At some point I'm just going to have to "suck it up" and cut the cord.  I guess after being skunked in the tomato department last year, I'm just trying to hedge my bets.

When will you learn?  You can't play with Mother Nature?  She'll do what she wants and I need to roll with the punches.

3 comments:

  1. I know where you're coming from. I finally bit the bullet and put those damn tomatoes in. I cut the bottom out of those big black 5 gallon containers plants/trees come in...buried it about half way up put the tomato in and filled with compost. I'm hoping the black plastic will keep the tomato warm. As it gets warmer I'll plant some basil and flowers around the base...it's a first. It may work and it may not. I just got tired of waiting for *normal* weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those tomatoes look beautiful. I am sure they will do well this year. They sure look like they got a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Tami. It falls under the categories of "gardeners' dilemmas." It's true what you say though about learning. Too bad each year isn't the same as the next though. It's always a guessing game!

    ReplyDelete