"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Saturday, May 21, 2011

What's In Your Shed?

Somebody once told me the world is gonna roll me,  I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed. 

She was looking kind of dumb with her finger and her thumb in the shape of an "L" on her forehead. - "All Star" by Smash Mouth
Whenever I do something stupid, this lyric pops into my head.  I think it's a brilliant phrase.

You see...I do stupid things all the time.  Most of the time nobody notices, just me.  The only witness.  I can keep it hush, hush.... "shhhh." (grin)

Two weekends ago, SM and I did the big "direct sow" thing in the garden.  The last thing going into the ground was the watermelon, muskmelon and pumpkins.  I wanted lots of room for them to grow. 

SM said "Only do a few for now.  It's still early and we can stagger the plantings."

"Sounds good to me!"  I replied exhausted.  It had been a full day outside and I was stinky, sweaty and ready for a hot shower and a glass of wine.

The next day, I washed the clothes that we had worn while gardening and when I went to throw them in the dryer I saw seeds everywhere.

"Oh, crap!"  I had stuffed the melon and pumpkin seeds in my pants pocket after I'd sowed them.  And had forgot all about them.  I love these pants because they're heavy duty and have pockets everywhere.  I just didn't even notice the packets though.

I thought about going ahead and planting them but SM didn't want too many melons and pumpkins anyway so I ended up tossing them.

Loser.

I spent some time yesterday shelling peas out of the one bed.  I'm going to start harvesting the other bed today.  I've been putting it off because I think, maybe....I'm not sure...but I think I did something stupid with the other pea bed.

I thought I'd planted Green Arrow and Wando shelling peas in the same bed.  I thought I'd planted my snow peas in a separate bed.

A few weeks ago I started picking snow peas.  Most of them were flat but some of them were just a little fatter.  (*Believe it or not, when shelling peas are immature, they look alot like a snow peas.) 

Anyway, I had picked a bunch and steamed them up.  Yummy.

The next night I picked a bit further down from where I had the night before.  This batch was tough and stringy.  We both spit them out.

I suspected I'd screwed up but didn't want to admit it.  I blamed the seed company of course.  (evil grin)

Well, it's been a week and you can tell that I've got a mix of shell and snow peas all through that one bed.  Nice fat peas that will be easy to seperate from the snow peas. 

The snow peas should have been picked a few weeks ago while they were still young and tender.  These might be too tough to eat.  We'll see.



Not a total loss by any means, it's just a pain in butt trying to judge which one is which.  I'd rather have to wait and loose the Snow peas but gain the shelling peas than keep spitting out the tough inedible pods.

Maybe next year I'll try sugar peas.

5 comments:

  1. I heard of genetically modified seeds, but not clean seeds LOL

    Happens to everyone...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not the biggest fan of snow peas, so I often let them get over mature and eat them as shelling peas. I am not sure why yours are so tough? You could always add a pinch of sugar to the cooking water (grandmas trick for old corn)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that song too.
    Did you ever let the Mister know what happened? Hee-hee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this! Now we all feel a little bit more human and not so Lonely...with a captial L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds exactly like something I would do. The thing I do most often is leave chapstick in pockets and then do laundry, then have to wash the clothes over again because they all have chapstick stains... Whoops!!!

    ReplyDelete