Monday, June 27, 2011

Peaches Part Deux

We went to the Farmers Market on Saturday.  (One of these trips I'll have to remember to bring my camera...I love pictures of FM's.)  I bought mushrooms, green beans (since mine aren't ready yet), lettuce, a Purple Cherokee tomato (that had SM shrugging his shoulders on the taste factor), a small taste of nectarines and peaches (of course.)

We sampled as we went and I purchased some peaches from Knob Oak Farm, whom we bought great fruit from before.  I bought a basket of "ready to go" (IMHO) and another that would need a bit of time.

Sunday morning I hauled out all my canning stuff.  Put the jars in the dishwasher to sterilize, had all my pots going and dropped the first handful in so I could slip the skins.

Well crap...still not ripe!  

Since I didn't want to waste what I'd already blanched, I switched gears and blanched a few more and made more jam.


Enough with the jam already!  


After I cleaned up the kitchen, I googled a few key words and found Tall Clover Farm which is a delightful blog of a fellow raising fruit trees on 5 acres west of Seattle.  West of Seattle?  That's the ocean right?  Yep!  He's on an island.  Anyway, Tom had written a post on The Best Way To Ripen Peaches  Since I've always done the brown paper bag thing, I thought I'd give Toms way a shot.  



I'm pretty sure most of you have heard of Food In Jars a blog about (what else?) canning food.  I found a nice Peach Vanilla Sauce recipe that I might try instead of making more jam.  But as SM points out "How much peach stuff do we need?"

I might want to start looking at plums...(grin)

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you should start selling your peach stuff at the farmer's market! They would make great gifts too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, now you got the canning bug. I see a pressure canner in your future. There is no known cure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Look at it this way...next year you wont have to make ANY peach jam!

    See, you are smarter than you think.

    How's the maters doing?

    ReplyDelete