"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Sunday, July 3, 2011

My First Pickles

I'm a big fan of Bread and Butter Pickles.  Robin suggested using the recipe in the Ball Blue Book. So here goes...My first pickles!





I must say that I personally like the Ball Blue Book better than Putting Food By.  Yes, it's nice to understand the details that PFB offers, but in all reality the only thing I truly care about is "Will it work?" and "Is it good?"  The Ball Blue book offers up descriptions and illustrations that my Type A personality finds comforting.  If any of ya'll are new to this like I am, steer towards the BB book first.  I don't think you'll go wrong.


I picked a few extra cucumbers this morning and had everything sliced, salted and iced by 6:30 am.  



By 8:30 I had everything boiling and (with a little help on the assembly line from SM) we had everything wrapped up by 9:00 am.



They look good!



Next up, a hot pepper mix from BBB to preserve my Yellow Hungarian Wax peppers.  


They're starting to turn orange so SM cut one up to taste in his morning breakfast wrap that he makes most mornings.  


Hello Kitty!  I don't think he thought that they would be that hot.  I think I'll tackle that recipe tomorrow.


Till then!  Happy 4th to all!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations - are you now hooked like me :-)

    They look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job! Just wait till you crack that first jar open...yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! Can't wait to see the peppers jarred up! Wear gloves when you start working with them...and DON'T rub your eyes (ask me how I know)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so good! I agree that the Ball Blue Book is one of the best resources out there. Tami, you're on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, congrats on your first pickles!! I'm happy to hear that you used that recipe. We don't eat any of the pickles for awhile after canning them. They get better with age...just like us women!

    That Blue Ball Book is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Th blue ball book is addicitive. Soon you will be making everything in it.

    ReplyDelete