"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My First Salsa!

I made Spicy Tomato Salsa from the Ball Blue Book yesterday.  Knowing that I'd be working with hot peppers, onions and garlic, SM went out and bought me a food processor.   I've been "old school" using a knife and cutting board all these years.  It's about time I moved into the 21st century.





Not too big, not to small...just right.  I've never worked with a food processor before and I must say they make a quick job of it.  If feel like a real scratch cook now.  I've always been a "cook" but somehow that piece of machinery makes me feel like I'm authentic now.  The real deal.

It took me about 3 hours, start to finish and did I use every tool in my arsenal as the cleanup dishes show.



SM described the salsa as "quite tasty".  A medium heat.  (I did add 4 cans of tomato paste to the recipe as it seemed pretty loose.)  That likely diluted the heat a bit. 



All in all a good first effort.  SM is wanting to try different salsa recipes so if y'all have a favorite (online) recipe let me know.  SM eats salsa everyday so this will make good use of our tomato crop.

I think I'd like to try a peach salsa, a black bean salsa and a corn salsa.

Speaking of peaches.  Remember I had 2 big baskets of peaches that SM bought for me?  Well, Ronnie and Connie were driving back through on their way home to Ohio from their beach vacation and spent the night with us Saturday.  Connie completely forgot about buying peaches as she likes to can them too.  Connie thought they'd find more orchards on the drive north.  "Not likely."  SM told them.  "All the orchards are about an hour south."  So I sold them the other basket.  It worked out great.  One basket of peaches is about all I want to handle in one weekend.  One basket made 2 batches.


SM is heading back into SC on Wednesday so he's under orders to buy me a basket once a week until I say stop or until the season is done.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new food processor! Here's a link to the salsa recipe I use for cannin

    http://cordarogarden.blogspot.com/2010/07/canning-salsa-recipe.html

    When making this recipe I do not use the food processor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are enjoying home-grown salsa! You're becoming very accomplished in the farming arena!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing I do for salsa is to get as much liquid out of the whole tomato as I can, then I cut everything in big chunks. I boil the vinegar mixture and only put the veg in the hot liquid mixture long enough to heat it up then in the jar ASAP. That makes a chunkier and less loose salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peach Salsa, yum! I love fruit in salsa, so that gets my vote. Pineapple is great in it too. I don't think you'll go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tami!
    You're doing terrific with your canning and as time goes by you'll find yourself relying more and more on that food processor.

    My (our!) most favorite salsa recipe is Pioneer Woman's: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/restaurant-style-salsa/

    When making her recipe I've used our frozen tomatoes preserved from our garden instead of the store-bought canned...still included the Ro-tel... deleted the jalapeno....and love lots of cilantro..seems like I upped the salt a little too, can't remember now...oh well...just tweak it to ya'lls likings. It's so easy...no cooking!

    BTW, one of the biggest ways my food processor helps me out is by using the 'grating' attachment. I buy cheese in bulk then grate and freeze. In preserving food I grate our zucchini, yellow squash and carrots(have to buy those- can't seem to grow'em)... and freeze to be used later in our spaghettis and lasagnes. Because we like that combination in our dishes, I freeze them together in one bag in the size to make one dish.

    Sorry this is so long...you're doing great!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the food processor...we have a mini one, but that wouldn't be much help with salsa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you ALL so much for your tips and tricks...(Just what I need!)

    I'm also going to check out those links you sent me!

    ReplyDelete