"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Saturday, August 27, 2011

On The Rise

I came across this article today on Yahoo Why is Celiac Disease On The Rise

The article itself gives only basic information.  What I always enjoy is reading the comments.  I usually take away more information from reading the opinions of the commenters than I do from the article itself.

I'm not celiac, but if I had continued to eat gluten I'm sure I would be.  I'm 'pre-disposed".  My brother is full blown celiac and we suspect my father was

Since I quit gluten last year not only has my digestive health been more manageable, (I still suffer from IBS) but my anxiety/panic disorder is completely gone.  I know it could come back but I suspect it won't.  You have NO IDEA how my life has changed since getting off the panic attack carousel.

I blame GMO wheat.  Some of the commenters do too.  The mainstream media will do what it has to to protect "$ The Big Green $", so you won't ever hear or read about it in the media. 

But some of us are onto you Monsanto.

11 comments:

  1. It's really amazing what chemicals, GMO's and non organic food can do to your health. Last year we went completely organic. Within two weeks I no longer needed to take my daily anti-asthma medicine Pulmicort! I have always had a lot of allergies and as I have gotten older they have changed from food and environmental to chemicals and drugs (other chemicals). I can still get asthma from perfumes and really smelly stuff....but, I guess that they are chemicals too! People don't realize that the so-called food that most people eat in this country is actually killing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The big AG companies and the GMO foods they force on us I feel is altering human health. Look at the amount of Autism today and how many joint replacements that are going on. GMO foods need to be avoided until we fully understand the unintended consequences. Just my $.02

    ReplyDelete
  3. I doubt you get any arguments on this one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree but I think it is so much more than that. Not only are grains GMO, but they are irradiated, loaded with pesticides, herbicides, and especially this wet spring, fungicides. Most peoples wheat consumption is in the form of purchased and processed bread, pasta, and baked goods and white flour. The wheat to make these was ground months if not years earlier and it was bleached, denatured, and altered beyond recognition. It was then mixed with other suspect ingredients and sat on a shelf for who knows how long. I would be hesitant to call it food at this point. People used to grow and grind their own grow their own grains or eat them whole as nature intended. Very few instances of gluten intolerance, celiac, etc exsisted then. And many people who have had issues with wheat no longer have them when they grind their own organic wheat berries. We need to go back to eating real food and I think the health of the nation would change dramatically.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All very good observations. See? I learn more from my commenters than I do from the actual article :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laugh when they say it's hereditary. Really? How come 25-30 years ago, NO ONE had these problems. EVERYONE in my neighborhood takes Prilosec-whether prescription or over the counter. Ridiculous. And we don't question WHY??????????????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm, I never heard the argument that wheat caused panic attacks. I used to get them too, many years ago. Very interesting...


    I think we'll be buying organic flour from now on, as we can't yet grow our own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo hoo, my computer's back online!

    You really hit the nail on the head when it comes to the media. It's disgusting how much cover-up there is about what they're doing to our food. It's a wonderful relief to figure out how to improve one's health with food, rather than drugs and surgery.

    Very glad Irene wasn't mean to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. Love your new blog look. :0

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tami: I don't believe there is a GMO wheat. In 2002, Monsanto submitted an application to the United States and Canada for the approval of an herbicide resistant, genetically modified wheat. Two years later, Monsanto withdrew its application. So as of today there is no GMO wheat.

    ReplyDelete