"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Going Dutch

I don't own any cast iron pots or pans.  Somehow I've made it through (almost) fifty years on this planet without ever experiencing the bliss of cooking with cast iron.

Seriously.  What's the big deal?  

I'd mentioned to SM a few months ago that, besides an apron and a good cast iron skillet, I really wanted to invest in a good dutch oven.  I see them from time to time being used on some of the food shows that I watch.  I kinda like the idea of a "one pot" dinner and the fact that I can take it from stove top straight into the oven appeals to me.

I came home this week and look what SM got me.



"I had the choice between red and blue.  I thought you'd like the red better."  SM said.

"You're right.  Somehow food coming out of a red dish seems more appealing."  I told him.  I lifted up the lid.  ""Wow.  That's heavy!!"  For some reason I wasn't expecting it to be THAT heavy.

So it's been sitting there on my counter looking pretty all week.  I have visions of soups and stews, roasted chicken and pot roasts dancing in my head.  I might even fry something!  All I've been waiting for is cooler weather.

Welcome to October!  We've had an extended summer so far this year, but today the north wind is blowing and the house is buttoned up tight.  We're forecast for brilliant blue skies, winds gusting to 25 mph and a high of only 64 today.  Brr.


We're hoping to spend some quality time on the back yard this weekend... weeding and trimming our way through the massive growth that this summer has given us.  It a mess back there.  


So we will need hearty sustenance to help us get through.  Any good ideas for breaking in my new dutch oven?  Favorite recipes?

8 comments:

  1. What a great surprise! Oh, that SM is a keeper.

    How 'bout a big pot of homemade chicken, lentil or beef soup? (Depending on your liking.)
    Fall is finally here, tami! Whoo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to love your Dutch Oven! My husband started buying me Le Creuset 35 years ago...he started with the hot orange color and in the last 10 years it's the vanilla. I would suggest some French or Italian peasant cooking...seriously...it will just *feel* right! Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Looking forward to recipes, now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chili! Or Pea Soup! Or Stew!
    We won't break out our Dutch oven until we fire up the wood stove....hopefully will be able to hold off at least a few more weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, a fine beef stew with lots of potatoes and carrots and onions simmering all day on a low heat would be wonderful. Have fun with the new pot-you're going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's Sunday Morning and it's COLD out (42) Pot Roast it IS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will LOVE it! I love cast iron of all sorts!

    ReplyDelete