"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Leftover Soup

Probably the nicest thing about leftovers is that when you're tired of eating them or even looking at them (and want to reclaim your refrigerator), you can toss everything all together and make a pretty amazing soup. 

First though, I had to crack the fat.  Pretty on the one hand.  Nasty on the other.



I had 2 stock pots in the spare fridge.  The first one had the leftover drippings and meat that I'd picked off the bone on T-day.  This had a thick layer of fat that I removed.  (Some of this was from the bird itself and the rest was the butter I'd roasted the bird with.)

The other pot held the carcass itself that I'd boiled to loosen up any more meat.  Not the "yummiest" way to start off your day.  (I made this soup at 7am)  Meat just isn't very pretty is it?  Makes you consider going vegetarian from time to time.

I tossed in the leftovers from the fridge.  Peas and carrots, mashed potatoes, squash.  I considered throwing in the left over sausage stuffing but that would have made it a soup I couldn't eat (gluten) so I passed on that one.  It makes me wonder what kind of texture the bread would add to the soup.  Instead I added a bit of corn and some rice and let it all meld together. 

Soup for breakfast anyone?

Never be afraid to make soup.  Recipes for the most part are just not needed.  Just toss in all the things that taste good to you and you'll be surprised at the results you'll get.

Makes me wonder how many families are eating Turkey Soup this weekend...

4 comments:

  1. It boggles the mind---I bet one out of 3 people probably have something turkey related this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally inspired! I made soup today too! Delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good and so good for ya! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Tami, your soup looks so good. I put our turkey carcass in the freezer for future soup making. It's been so chilly that soup sounds really good right now, and it's 7:01 AM!

    I've noticed as we read through the Little House books (for the millionth time) that they often just ate supper's leftovers for breakfast. Makes sense, really.

    ReplyDelete