"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Old Ornaments

I finally finished trimming our tree this week. 

SM and I had stopped by Pier One and picked up a few more old fashioned glass ornaments like the one you see in the header picture.  They have a nice selection of old glass and fun novelty ornaments. 

(I bought an ornament for each of my immediate co-workers.  I got into this habit a few years ago.  It's a nice, inexpensive was to wish your friends a Merry Christmas.  Heather got a pink pig with blue spots on it.  Teri got a goofy reindeer, wrapped in a scarf and Mary got a burgundy and purple jewel crusted butterfly.)

But my favorite ornament on our tree is this one.




Believe it or not, this tiny little plastic ornament is at least as old as I am.  I remember this little guy being on our tree when I was a kid.  It has a little sliver spinner inside it.  If you place it over a light bulb the spinner spins from the updraft of heat of the bulb.

I used to watch this little guy for hours when I was a kid.

Still do.

It's nice that so many of our ornaments have special meaning and memories attached to them.  Hand-me-downs from childhood, gifts from friends and co-workers and even silly vacation ornaments all have a place on our tree.  That's what makes it special, I guess.  Remembering where each one came from.

What are some of your favorite ornaments?

1 comment:

  1. I have a confession to make. When I was a kid, I happened upon some of those old mercury glass ornaments....and dropped them one by one on the garage floor because the POPPING sound they made when they broke was awesome!!
    Man, I hope that Christmas Ornament Karma doesn't exist because I've now accumulated several on my tree....and now have a toddler of my own!

    ReplyDelete