"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Friday, January 4, 2013

Phase One...Complete

Well...Almost.

We've been working on "face lifting" our master bathroom this past month and I must say it's amazing what a difference this partial update has made in our mood.  SM and I actually like being in our bathroom now and we're looking forward to "Phase Two" of the project.

First, let me remind you of the horror that was.  Gold fixtures with an eye popping bright green paint.  Don't ask me what I was thinking when I painted the room that color.  I think I was just going for "happy".  SM hated it from day one, but at least the color distracted you from the general "yuck" in the room.  

Along with a custom plywood cabinet built into the wall space with MDF fascia and drawers.  Molded acrylic counter-sink tops with what I've heard HGTV describes as a huge "fun-house" mirror on the wall.

Since we decided against a complete gut-job we needed to decide where the big money was going to be spent.  We both agreed that the shower area was going to cost the most.  (More on that in another post.) 

So accessories mattered here.  And paint color. 

Strangely, the hardest part of this remodel was the color.  Seeking inspiration, we shopped for the accessories first.

We knew anything gold/brass was out.  I didn't care for shiny silvers and wanted to stick with the matted nickel finish that we had in the other bath.  SM wanted something different though and we both decided on the newer blackish bronze fixtures that Lowes offered.

But what color to paint the walls?  I was stumped.

Color equals mood, so I talked SM into a nice, soft bluish gray color for the walls. The plywood cabinet was next and I selected a dark brown color.  The sales guy advised me to make it a gloss so I went along.  It took me a whole weekend to paint all this.






But as we lived with the blue walls during the work week, we both felt the blue was too dark for the size of the room and it left us with a cold feeling.  And the cabinet!  Strike Two!  Not only was the color off but the gloss finish showed everything.  Remember, this is a cheap ass plywood cabinet we're trying to cover up here.

I felt a bit deflated by this point.  A total fail.  A whole weekend wasted.  But paint is cheap enough so back to Sherwin Williams we went.  We decided on a nice neutral beige-y cream color for the walls.  How can you go wrong with that?  And for the cabinet, I took my cue form the fixtures and went with a satin black. 


 
 
Then I spent another weekend painting THAT.  (I'm the painter here in this house.  I actually enjoy it.  Except ceilings.  SM does those.)  Hmmm...not bad, not bad at all.  A bit on the peachy side but we thought we could live with it.  And the black on the cabinets?  Wonderful...Really snazzed them up!




Time to break out the hardware.  Getting better!




Time for accessories, like new switch plates, bath mats, drawer pulls and towel rods.  And BASKETS!  We decided to leave the cabinet doors OFF of the cabinet and bought baskets to hold towels and stuff.  (We stayed at a hotel in Seattle a few years ago and they had this look. We really liked it so thought we'd try it.)




I shopped for a shade for the window but couldn't find anything I liked.  Pier One had this wall art on sale so we snapped that up and put it over the new toilet.




The only thing NOT done yet is the mirror.  I actually like the big mirror, but the edges are chipped up.  So I saw an idea where you buy decorative wood trim, paint it and glue it onto the mirror. 




We bought the trim.  Now I just need for SM to break out his saw and get the angles cut.  Then I need a nice warm, dry day to paint...Well, it's not happening anytime soon I guess.

Whew!  Finally!  Just getting this far feels like pulling teeth but it's worth it.  We're really happy with the look so far.

Next post?  Decisions about Phase Two.  The shower, tub, window and flooring.

Hoo Boy...more decisions!!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh that came out beautiful! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the black cabinets and the open cabinets with baskets! I have a curtain on one of our smaller "closets" instead of a door in the one bathroom and I like that is seems to soften up a room. If you wanted to add some color or even hide some of those open cabinet, not that I would yet, try a curtain!

    Looking forward to the shower & tub re-do.....I've been wanting to gut our shower, but just the thought of tearing out the old one gives me nightmares. Maybe if I see your remodel I'll be encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Tami. We cleared clutter & thoroughly cleaned almost every room in our house & boy that makes a difference as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It looks fantastic. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooh, it looks so modern! Nice job, you two.

    ReplyDelete