"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Conversations At The Mall

Yesterday morning after having a few cups of coffee and a carbo loaded blueberry pancake breakfast, SM finally crawled back into bed. 

It was crappy, cold and raining pretty steadily.

I, on the other hand was still charged up on my daily dose of Mountain Dew (I don't do pancakes) so I sat and blogged and cleaned the house and did some laundry and blogged some more, and then I got sleepy again around 11. 

What can I say?  I sleep when the urge strikes.  And I don't get that urge too often anymore.  Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I slept for more than 4 hours straight.  I'm usually up every couple of hours.

Hot flashes, tiny bladder...(shrug)...I digress.

So I crawled back to bed just as SM was re-emerging.  I finally got up about 12:30 and found SM itching to get out and do something. 

Anything.

"How about lunch first?"  SM asks.  Obviously the pancakes have been digested and he's ready for round two.

I'm still in the twilight zone though and wasn't in the mood to cook. 

"How about we go out for lunch?" 

"On The Border?"  SM asks.

"Sure.  We can walk around the Mall while we're at it and stretch our legs."

So off we go to the mall, something we never do but we had cabin fever big time. 

The Mall?  Are we crazy?

We must've been.  Although in our defense I do think people reach a breaking point in Winter when you do things you might not otherwise do.

Turns out everybody else had cabin fever too. 

Think Christmas at the mall. 

Only worse.

"Maybe this isn't such a good idea."  I said to SM as we sat in traffic.  SM shrugged and said "What else are we going to do today?"  It was still grey, cold and drizzly.

So we went and sat at the bar and shared a "sampler" appetizer platter.  The place was packed.

Boredom cost us $25 and a belly full of "Ehh.." 

"You cook better than that." 

"Anybody cooks better than that!"

So into the Mall we wandered.  First stop?  Jeans.  Both SM and I need them.  The store we went into had good prices according to SM.  He had lots of choices.

I didn't. 

What is up with the skinny jean trend?  Tight at the ankles?  No Thanks!

"I'll just look like a Swedish meatball on the end of a toothpick if I buy these." I told SM in disgust.

"I don't know why we're shopping for jeans anyway.  We'll be in shorts before too long."  SM said browsing.

So we skipped on the jeans.

As we came out of the store, there must've been a pack of about 30 people all clustered together coming straight at us. 

It was kinda scary. 

I darted out and around them, but SM plowed through.  When we came together again I turned to SM and said...


 

"That was a Zombie Herd if ever I saw one.  You're lucky to be alive!"

We both laughed.

What can I say?

It's the little things...

We stopped in Eddie Bauer where SM found some rubber coated "Gear Ties" in various sizes that he can use for holding equipment in his truck.  50% off!





They also had a 70% off sale on some clothes and I found a pair of last years shorts, a sleeveless top and warm, winter gloves for $8 each.  Sold!

We wandered along some more and saw a huge poster at Aeroposatle with a young girl with big lips practically sucking her finger.  VERY suggestive.

I shook my head.  "Was advertising this bad when we were young?"  I asked SM.

"Probably.  We were just to young and stupid to recognize it."

We came up to the food court.  It was PACKED.  I noticed though as I looked out over the heaving mass of humanity, that everyone was in a shade of black or grey. 

"Only the kids have on color."  I told SM.  It was all very monotone. 

It was starting to get hot too, all those people.

"You know...This might not have been a great idea.  I wonder how many people have a cold or flu out there."  I mused to SM.

We both looked at each other and picked up the pace and as we hit the doors and that damp, cold, fresh air hit us, I turned to SM and said...

"This actually feels pretty good now doesn't it?"

It's all in your perspective I guess.

We won't have that problem today though.  As I sit here typing this, the sun is warming my back and it's supposed to hit 65 today.

I hope wherever you are, you get some sunshine too.

We could ALL use it.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, you MUST have desperate!
    Doesn't it just suck when you go out to eat, thinking you'll enjoy it, then realize that almost all restaurant food pretty much stinks...and then to add insult to injury, you actually PAID for it?
    Glad you got some good deals on the shirts/shorts/gloves though!

    ReplyDelete