"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Monday, May 20, 2013

Tender Vittles

 Just like the rest of the country, we've been enjoying a slightly cooler and wetter Spring than what we usually get. 

But we all know it's coming. 

You know. 

The Sun.  That big ole scorcher in the sky.

In anticipation of that event, I had purchased some shade cloth from Gardeners Supply a few months ago.  It has sat in it's wrapper in the shed waiting for the moment it would be needed.

I actually forgot I'd bought it.

Last weekend, I'd transplanted the sweet bell peppers into the raised bed next to the lettuce.  Sometime last week the sun came out to play and scorched my tender vittles.  We did actually hit 90 degrees for a day or two.

"They didn't look like that this morning when I watered."  SM said as we both stared down at the poor little suckers.




SM thinks we should pull these pull these little buggars up and buy some new from the nursery. 

"Let's give it a few days." I said as we hung the shade cloth up.




I'm hoping to extend our lettuce season with the shade cloth too.  We just love our homegrown lettuces and are eating salads almost everyday.  Past experience has shown me that the longest I can hope for a lettuce harvest in our heat is mid June.




Wouldn't it be lovely if we can keep lettuce on our plates all Summer long?

1 comment:

  1. I hope you can! The lettuce here bolted in a matter of days and it is through for the season. I hate buying it at the store!

    ReplyDelete