"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Monday, July 22, 2013

Torpedo's Away?

Well, not quite yet.

It had been 3 weeks since we'd pulled the Red Tropea "Torpedo" onions

I went out to the shed every weekend since then expecting to see moldy or rotting onions with all the rain we've been having but they're actually curing up pretty well.

How do I know?  Well, last year was my first year growing onions and since anyone can get lucky at least once, (ha) I goggled and found this nice tutorial that I used as a reminder.  I didn't follow her instructions exactly but found the reminder about a wet neck useful.

Just to be extra double checky sure, I grabbed 4 onions and decided to cook SM a breakfast frittata since we're both having a super busy work week.

I like these onions better than the HUGE Red Candy onions I grew last year.  These are more "meal sized" meaning I don't have half an onion sitting in the fridge waiting to be used another day.

I could tell that the outer "wrapper" was nicely dried. 

Typical onion smell so I slid on a pair of glasses and carefully chopped and fried them up.  I've found that glasses help keep the tears away and did you know that while washing your hands afterwards, if you take your soapy hands and rub them on your stainless steel sink (or pan) your hands don't smell like onions anymore?

This is a mostly egg white omelet.  SM has to watch his cholesterol so I only use a few egg yolks.  The rest is egg whites.  Turkey sausage, yellow and red bell peppers along with onions and mushrooms.  Under the broiler with some cheese on top and "Oh, YUM."

Deb and I split the cost of the purchase of the onion sets but Deb wanted me to grow them since I had more room so after breakfast I went out to cut off the tops and roots and divide the spoils up. 

I started snipping back the dried up leaves and saw that while some of them are dried up, others are still wet at the neck once I cut them.  I finished trimming all the leaves off but left them on the screen.  I'm going to let them dry another week or so before sending them on their way.

Mine will go into a paper bag to hang out in the house since it's so hot and humid out in the garage.  (No basement.)  I've also promised the ladies at work some so I don't expect these will stick around long enough to worry about rotting.

Deb says she plans on chopping and freezing hers up.  She did this last year and it worked well for her. 

I'm still hoping that the Copra's manage to beat the Bermuda grass strangle-hold they're in and provide me with my storage onions for the year.  I pulled one up to check.  Still small and the tops aren't bent over yet so I'll leave them in the ground a bit longer. 

Weird that both the Torpea and the Copra have a 110 day till harvest label but I did grow the Tropea in a raised bed and the Copra's are in the ground.  Maybe the cooler start slowed the Copra's down. 

Regardless, it will work out fine.  I'll have the screens free and clear for them when they're ready.


  1. Thanks for the info. If my first crop of onions makes it, I'll be thinking of ou and thanking you for the storage info :)

  2. Ditto! Mine are about a month ahead of schedule - due to relentless heat and dry conditions - so they are all toppled over in the garden. I am trying to ignore them for another week or so, just to try and push them toward better storing weather. There's nothing worse than a wet neck. Onion or not. :)