"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Saturday, October 26, 2013

The End

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end - The Doors




We had a hard freeze last night. 




28 degrees out there as I write this.  It had to happen sometime I guess.




Goodbye to our 2013 garden.   




Goodbye to my flowers.  I loved you well.  So much so that next year I plan to have much more variety. 




Goodbye to the bugs.  You, I won't miss.  Nasty bits you are.  Die, Buggars, Die!
After today I can go out into my garden and yank and pull without getting feasted upon myself.  And do I ever have a lot of clean up to do.  Enough to keep me busy during the long Winter months.




Goodbye to the squash.  Surprisingly, my winter squash surged late this year.  Very late.  I must've planted 6 packets of Butternut and Dutch crookneck back in June and nothing happened with all the rain we got.  I was SO disappointed. 

Then, about a month ago we noticed a few vines growing with flowers and tiny little squashes on them.  Curious, I let them be and waited to see what would happen. 

I went out last night and cut them off before they froze.




Four good sized Pennsylvania Dutch Crooknecks.  This is a new squash for me. They're still sightly green but I'm going to cook them up and see what happens.  I've read that they are similar to Butternuts which I love.  I don't know if it's an issue that they're a little green.  It might impact the flavor I suppose.  We'll see.

After today begins my dreaming of next years garden.  How about you?  Is everything kaput where you are?


4 comments:

  1. What's wrong with this picture? Up here in northern Minnesota we haven't yet had a hard, killing frost . . . but you way down in the Banana Belt have. Hmmmm. Mother Nature continues to mess with our minds. And gardens.

    Beautiful pics you took, by the way. :o}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleaning up everything today. Got good frost last night too. Let you know later if my covered cukes survived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got a freeze here the other night, on the northeastern side too. I need to do some serious clean up myself, and with temps going up to the 70's, should be a nice week for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in Northern VA, we have just had a brush with 32 degrees so the growing things chose to ignore it but I had already scalped the lettuce. Broccoli rabe is still growing...no florets yet.

    ReplyDelete