"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Saturday, November 8, 2014

H is Also For...Hijacked (2nd H Post For Today)

I am pissed.
I had just posted the first "H" post when suddenly my laptop was hijacked by Microsoft without my permission.


This laptop was purchased with the 8.0 Operating System.  Last year, when 8.1 was released, I got a window prompting me to update, which I did and the new 8.0 OS basically made my laptop inoperable.


Fortunately, I was within my warranty with HP and I shipped it back to them so they could bring it back to factory settings.


And so, for the past year, I have cancelled every prompt Microsoft has sent to upgrade to 8.1 OS.


Today though, I was not given an option.  I watched for a couple of hours as Microsoft did what it wanted to with my laptop.


Finally, the installation completed and I could get back on.


So far so good. 


8.1 is faster and is not giving me the buggy issues that it did last year.


However, I have no idea what will happen when I close out for today.  I am waiting for the other shoe to drop.  So if my posts suddenly stop, blame Microsoft not me.


As a matter of fact, let's just be cautious and say this is my...


I is for...Incensed
J is for ...Jacked Off
K is for...Kick Their Little A---s
L is for...Livid


and M...


Well, M is for "Hello Mac" because I swear that when this laptop dies I will be purchasing my first Mac.


I don't know if Apple will be any better.  Probably not.  But I have lived too long with freedom of choice. 


I feel that Microsoft basically took that choice away from me.  I understand that it's their system and by using it I give them permission to do what they want.


But there's got to be a better way to cajole me. 
Sweet talk me. 
Reason with me.


You don't just come in and hijack me.
Or rather you do.
But not without consequences.


So just be warned out there if you have an 8.0 OS.
It's just a matter of time.





5 comments:

  1. Yep, the price we pay for living in this technological age. More and more of our choices are being taken away. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put Linux on all computers when they get old or can't run MS anymore. Lots of different versions available for free. Ubuntu for modern machines (comes with free software) and Puppy for old XP machines with less than 1gb ram. Lots of other specialized flavors. If you are going to throw one away what is there to lose? Mac is too expensive for more corporate nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I'll mention this to SM as he is our resident IT guy.

      Delete
  3. Now I'm worried . . . . my only saving grace is a great (albeit paid for) relationship/warranty with Dell.

    ReplyDelete