"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Saturday, November 22, 2014

U is For...Upheaval

As we go through life we get to decide, to a certain extent, who we want to be in our professional occupation.


The way I look at it, you get three choices.


Big.
Medium.
 Or small.


I suppose there's also the super-size me option.  But I personally only know two people who chose that option.  One's a judge, the other a CEO. 


Anyway, I have opted time and again to stay small. 


A spinning cog in the clock. 





A honeybee in the hive.





Every now and then I get pushed to grow and move on up the ladder of corporate responsibility but I've resisted these attempts to change my status in life one iota.  The way I look at it, climbing up that ladder is a dangerous thing. 


I'd rather stay small and do my thing. 
It's safer.


The company I work for was bought up a few weeks ago.  Everyone was assured that it was "business as normal" but we all knew that there were now two corporate offices.  Two marketing departments, two HR's... and so on.


And so the upheaval of restructuring has begun and pink slips were distributed the other day. 


Just before the holidays. 
That sucks. 


I'm sure they were well compensated but can you imagine having to be out there looking for work over and over again because of the position you hold on that ladder?


I've seen it countless times and always point to the safety of staying small in this dog eat dog business world whenever I get the "Gosh, you'd be perfect for that position!" comment from my coworkers.


Not for me.
I'm happy with my modest little life, Thank You very much!

1 comment:

  1. You're happy, yes, but in my opinion, you're also very wise in your thinking. The last position I had out in the big, bad business world (a hundred years ago) was one I was more or less "forced" into and I hated it right up until the time I quit to become a happy homemaker on the homestead. 'Tis so true that "bigger" is not always better!

    ReplyDelete