"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Thursday, December 25, 2014

Just Another Day Off?

"Does it feel like Christmas to you?" I asked SM yesterday as we headed out to Kannapolis to go pick up the Nissan which had just received a brand new transmission.

"Not really...You?"  SM inquired.

"No.  It must be because we're older.  Christmas is for kids after all."

"I'll just be glad not to see anymore car commercials on TV.  Do people really run out and buy a new car for Christmas?"  SM asked.

"I have no idea but I think you're right.  By the time Christmas actually gets here you're so fatigued from all the run-up that it just turns into just another day off."  I told him.

"What's your favorite holiday?"  SM asked.

"Besides Saturday and Sunday?"  I laughed.  "Probably New Years and Thanksgiving.  But Fourth of July is pretty neat."

"I like Easter myself."  SM tossed in.

"Yeah...Spring flowers and new green grass."  I mused.  Can you tell I'm ready for Spring?

I thought about that conversation this morning as I did my laps around the neighborhood. 

My life is pretty routine.  As an adult, it's built mostly around my work which provides me with the kibble we need to have a home and all the accessories that modern living provides.

I'm starting to notice though that any time-off from work is starting to feel like a holiday and vice versa.  I pretty much do the same things on a holiday that I do on a day off.

Is that just maturity or do I need to get a life?

2 comments:

  1. Besides Christmas, I love the fourth of July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maturity, perhaps. Or just simply another stage of life. In a large part, Christmas is indeed for kids. Even the church services are full of kids either in a program or in their seats in gussied up duds. When you have a fulfilling life of your own and not unlimited hours to spend doing things you really WANT to do, sometimes merely sitting through a dinner with extended family can be less than . . . fulfilling! :o)

    ReplyDelete