"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Get Up And Do It Again...Amen

Yesterday morning started off with SM and I on the back porch listening to baby birds chirping (ie: screaming) for their food as their parents zoomed to the nest loaded with bear, I assume.  

First the sparrows on the right, then the robins in the holly bush to the left.  Back and forth we listened to the kids clamoring for breakfast when suddenly SM spied the male robin fly out of the bush and land near our blueberry bushes.

We saw him fly up and attack the bush, grabbing the berry and taking it back.  He did this several times to which SM asked me "They're not ripe yet are they?"

"Not my idea of ripe." I replied and it was game on.  


It was 7:30 am as I wrapped the blueberries with netting and I didn't come back inside the house until it was close to 4.

Yesterday was what I would call a good day of hard work.  A day that satisfies the soul of folks who live for accomplishment through simple manual labor.  

That muscle aching pull that stiffens your step.  

That feeling that your skin is under there somewhere beneath the dust, dirt, sweat and (yes) paint that coats it and makes a hot shower on a hot day a pleasure.

I walked 3 miles before 7am and my Fitbit vibrated my 10,000 step as I hoed the weeds and Bermuda grass one more time before the vining winter squash and pumpkins took over the patch.  Dust flew up and attached itself to me as I hoed and pulled, hoed and pulled.  



Something ate all my sunflowers and I mentally cursed the beast while swearing to plant more as I wiped the sweat from my face.  The dirt is bone dry and fluffy.  We're hoping for rain this coming week.  At least that's what the forecast says.


I then grabbed the paint brush and attacked the house.  Up and down on ladders, in and out of railings, scraping dried paint from window glass, cleaning brushes...That was the rest of my day. 



I painted in the shade of the house with my IPad tuned to classic rock station out of Boston.  

Great station. 
And then The Pretender by Jackson Browne came on.
And I thought about the lyrics.  

There isn't much about that song that I don't like and it got me to thinking about work.  

The work I do for $$ The Legal Tender $$  and what that allows me to buy.

And then there's the work around the house that pays me back with a currency that's priceless.

It's good to have a balance of both I suppose but I know that if I was marching to my own drum, the days would never blur together like they do when I'm on that hamster wheel working for the man.

I guess that's why a day like yesterday felt so good.
I needed a reminder of why I do the work.


Gonna pack my lunch in the morning
And go to work each day
And when the evening rolls around
I'll go on home and lay my body down
And when the morning light comes streaming in
I'll get up and do it again
Amen.
Say it again
Amen.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are very well aware of the balance between work and work. It's a pity that physical work is no longer valued. I can see the successful results of yours in the photos. It wasn't too long ago when your garden was under weed attack! Well done. (And good luck with the blueberries!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Through your own physical labor, your place is kept looking so lovely. I mean that seriously.

    I have to agree with Leigh that so much is lost when physical work has been relegated to "just not worth it." I hear that from so many people who don't understand why I put so much effort (and blood, sweat and tears!) into growing our own food. Loved your "A day that satisfies the soul of folks who live for accomplishment through simple manual labor." Ain't nuthin' like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the kinda work that locks those puzzle pieces together-and satisfies.
    Love Jackson Browne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, amen to this post, Tami. Amen, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Place is looking awesome, Tami. Deer came this week and ate down my sunflowers. They are just devastating garden machines. And, like your do-it-again theme, when/if stuff grows back, they do it again. I don't even bother to try berries, but oh yours look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soul satisfying days are wonderful. Beats all heck out of a long day at work, even a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post. Thanks for the reminder of that great song. I'm thankful for work that pays "a currency that is priceless," and I guess I have to be reluctantly thankful for the soul-sucking job that helps make it possible.

    I hope you got some rain. We've been getting a slow steady gentle rain for about 36 hours now, which has been a great relief.

    ReplyDelete