"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Condiment House

When the day is done and I'm in my relaxation mode slouched into my recliner with a glass (or two) of wine in my hand, I like to watch mindless stuff.

Like reruns of Mike and Molly.
And anything on HGTV.

 Image result for flip or flop
The big thing on HGTV now is these total gut jobs of old nasty houses that are turned into The Home of Your Dreams.  I watch these shows curious to note what features they consider gutable.  

Carpeting in favor of hardwood floors.
Tile instead of vinyl.
Maple cabinets instead of oak.
Granite instead of laminate.

In my wine induce haze, I suddenly realize my entire house would be considered a gut job.  I also notice that when they're shopping these crappy houses, they give them nicknames.  

Which got me to thinking.  If my house was on one of these shows, what would be it's name?

As I look around, I notice that I really gravitate towards a warm color palate.

Most of my house is decorated in yellows, reds and greens. 

Hm...Mustard, catsup and relish.
The Condiment House!

Even the new exterior colors I bought trend towards these colors.
I never thought about it before.

It seems that the HGTV color palate is full of gray, white and a soft sage green or soft blue.  All of those colors are pretty but too cold for me.

 Image result for hgtv fixer upper

What about you?  What would you name your house if it was on HGTV?

10 comments:

  1. Oh, that's a hard one. Hmmm, the house of incomplete projects? The "I was gunna" house or "I'm getten to it" house? Sigh. Ok, maybe I exaggerate a little but still, I seem to have a ton of stuff to do. As for colors, I do tend to drift to the light grays and blues with some light yellow thrown in. I find that people tend to feather their nests with the colors that look good on themselves. Do you remember back in the 80s, or was it the 90s, where there was a trend to typify people by their season? I'm a winter. Are you a fall or spring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm... Not sure what season I am but most of my scrubs are in blue tones and my home clothes are blue, white, gray and greens mostly because of my red face. Hm...

      Delete
  2. My brain isn't fully functioning yet this morning although as I write it's already 7:17 and because of your post yesterday *I* was going to be out in the garden at 7 a.m. (Ain't happenin'. Sigh. And I'm feeling guilty. Sigh.) Where was I? Oh, yeah. My brain cells can't come up with a name for our house, but I agree with Katie C. I'm a "Fall" and, yepper, those are the colors that I've decorated with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I keep forgetting to comment on how much I love your new blog header photo. Brings a big grin to my face every time I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cat Hair House! Dog Toy House! I'm with Mama Pea - I LOVE that close up of the Piglet's nose! It makes my day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "There's Nothing Wrong With It, But It Still Hasn't Sold House"! Can you tell I'm ready to head up there? Sheesh...

    Hope your staycation is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you do it but if your house hasn't sold 10 years from now we'll just do a swap OK? The older I get the more appealing Fla is becoming...At least in winter.

      Delete
    2. OMGosh, don't even say that! In 10 years, this place will be filled with year-round snowbirds again! We are thinking of having a "tiny house" here, so we can come back to visit in the colder months.

      Delete