"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Uncontrollable

As I was walking the dogs this morning (in the pre-dawn dark as usual) with my left foot twanging (arthritis anyone?), I reflected on how Mother Nature will not be denied.  

For me OR my garden. 



I hope to spend several blissful hours this weekend trying to bring the garden to some sort of order.  

It's that time of the year after all when weekend warriors try to set their best foot forward with sharp, green lawns and snappy, perfect pots hugging the front door.

I'm sure the big box stores will be overwhelmed with folks buying lawn seed and fertilizer, purchasing pansies and potting soil.

Don't think I'm not tempted!  I almost veered off to one of them on my way home from work Friday.  

Only the promise of an open bottle of wine cooling in the fridge at home kept my priorities straight.



I'm a tidy, organized person by nature and like anyone I appreciate the effort put forth by folks to spruce up their place after the long drudge of Winter.

But my foot was twanging and I'm under orders from the Derm Dr to limit my time out in the sun between 10 and 4 and to be truthful, maybe having that perfect garden that I fantasize about every year is just that.  

A fantasy.

I had some Solar Keratosis (or AK's) frozen off my face this week.  Common enough occurrence for those of us with fair skin.  

"So what do you do that you are out in the sun so much?"  My lady Derm Dr inquired as she blasted the liquid nitrogen on my temples.

"I like to garden"  I offered up, thinking to myself "I don't like to garden THAT much."

I hated to admit the fact that those of us over a certain age just disregarded all those "Stay out of the sun" and "Wear your UV!" admonishments that are so part of modern life these days.

Back when I was a kid, it was baby oil during the Summer and tanning beds in the Winter.  Tans were in.

Can't tell you how many times I went to the beach and got sunburned.



So now, I have to pay the price.  
Or pay the Derm Doctor so to speak. 

It occurs to me that the spots on my face are not unlike the weeds in my garden.  Left to their own devices, they would take over.  

So every now and then I make an effort to control the uncontrollable.

I've bought some killer face UV by Elta (tinted so it's like foundation) 

I also bought some very expensive hats designed for BAD girls like me.  Coolibar on Amazon.


This canvas floppy is my go-to hat that I toss on whenever I need to jump outside quick.



This wide rim is new for me.  I think I'm going to use this one when it's SUPER hot.  It's lighter weight and has an elastic rim and cord that the canvas floppy doesn't have.  It will stay on my head better when it's windy.  Notice the fabric to protect the neck when your hair is up.  

Anyhoo...I've been gardening here for about 7 years now and I've noticed that things are generally blooming 2-3 weeks earlier these past 3 years.  

Climate change?  
Maybe.  

Regardless, the window for getting any vegetables to harvest is pretty tight around here anymore.

By the time June hits it's a crapshoot.  We will likely be in the 90's if not in the 100's thorough August.  And my tender vittles do NOT like HOT weather.

So I decided to take my cues from Mama Nature this year and do my spring planting earlier than usual.  

As in now.  Today.

March 26, 2017.

Holy Cow!!!!

I cleaned up 4 of the raised beds and planted carrots, lettuce, golden snap beans, and yellow and green summer squash.



ARE YOU MAD?  I can hear you all thinking.
Maybe.

But I can always replant if we get a late freeze.

The rest of the garden is a nightmare of weeds.  

But just like my face, I'll zap a few spots at a time and see if we can't control the uncontrollable.

*BTW...Look carefully over my shoulder.  

Do you see that red spot?  
It's a chicken house.  
Yep.  

Da neighba's got sum chickans.  






No comments:

Post a Comment