"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Friday, January 29, 2021

Seed Chatter

I've noticed a bit of chatter going on about seed companies having issues due to higher than normal demand for seeds. 


Washington Post Article

I'm thinking a lot of people have decided to start gardening now that we know this pandemic isn't going to end anytime soon.

I suppose I fall into that category too.  My beds have been covered for the past few years.  I just didn't have the time when I was employed.  Last year, I only planted zinnias and summer squash.  I was furloughed at the time and expected to be back to full-time work once the Covid lockdown was lifted in June.  

I only opened two raised beds.  Everything else stayed covered.  I suppose I could have done more once I became officially unemployed but I suspect the urge just wasn't there. 

Anyhow, I've already been making some plans for the garden this year and bought my seeds back in December.  I usually make that my Christmas present to myself each year.

My "go-to" seed company is Baker Creek and back in December I didn't have any issues getting my delivery.  Sure, some seeds varieties were already sold out but that only makes it interesting trying new types of seeds.

I clicked on their site today out of curiosity and got this message:

We apologize, but due to the unprecedented volume of seed orders, our website will be closed beginning Friday, January 29 at 3 a.m. CST and reopening on Wednesday, February 3rd at 10 p.m. CST, to give us time to catch up on orders, restock seed supplies and clean and sanitize our work spaces. At present, our warehouses and shipping line are running 24 hours a day, with social distancing and other safety precautions in place to protect employees. Our workforce, like many others, has been affected by COVID-19, and we highly value our workers’ health and wellness. Thank you for your patience, and for sharing our belief that gardening makes us more human and more whole.
We will be live again February 3rd at 10 p.m. CST

It certainly makes me more interested in "Seed Saving".  Last fall, I saved three bags of Zinnia seeds.  Two from my garden and one from my sister-in-laws garden up in NH. I've also got some winter squash seeds saved.

What have you all experienced or heard about seed shortages?  


5 comments:

  1. My gardening was much reduced for a few years. Last year I was taken by surprise by the lack of some seeds in stores, plants too. A few weeks ago when I saw the seed display at local WM, I got some that I knew I was needing. Last week I picked up some more after I checked the seed box. There were some vegetable slots that were getting close to empty on the store display. I haven't ordered on-line for quite a while, I keep forgetting to start thinking about gardening when it's December.

    What I haven't seen any sign of is canning lids other than an off brand regular size at WM. No sign of trustworthy brand names. Yet, I may come to regret not snagging a couple of the odd brand. Of course, that depends on if the garden does anything much this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting to think of how everything is interconnected from garden seed to canning lid shortages. I tried canning about 10 yrs ago and hated it. I'll have to see if I've got some lids left. I gave most of my jars away but honestly can't think if I have any boxes of lids hanging around.

      Delete
  2. Yep, I think there will definitely be a shortage of seeds available this year. It's a combination of more people starting to garden, the delays caused by COVID, and possibly even ripple effects because of companies forced to lay off employees. (For instance, just imagine if a seed company can't get their usual orders of paper seed packets because either the paper isn't available . . . or maybe the ink for the printing isn't available from the usual manufacturer.) This is a time when I sincerely wish it was possible to do more seed saving. Unfortunately, our season is just not long enough for seeds to properly form and mature. I've done it with some crops, but not nearly enough. :o( Each fall, as soon as my harvest season is over, I go through my seeds and order anything that I feel is in short supply. Did so last fall and received all that I wanted with no problem. And I'm glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, MP...You've brought up some excellent points that I haven't even thought of. Living in a "long season" climate like I do, I really have no excuse not to step up my seed saving game.

      Delete
  3. I ordered early because I figured there might be shortages like last year. I order from High Mowing and Sow True seeds. I was able to get everything I needed for the season.
    Seed saving is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete