"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Sunday, February 28, 2021

Rainy Day Roasting And A Seed Save

After three days of a glorious spring-time tease, Mother Nature decided to get back to her regularly scheduled programing and gave us a wet, raw, day that encouraged a girl to turn on her oven and stay indoors.

I had various veggies in cold storage that needed to be cooked and figured nothing tastes better than a good roasting.  I tend to boil the "bleep" out of vegetables most days.  

So I turned the oven on 350, pulled out my big bowl, knives and cutting board, oil and seasonings and started to process each veg one at a time. 

Wilted Broccoli?. Check. 
Softening Idaho potatoes? Check. Check.

When SM found out I was roasting he ran to the store and got some of his favs.  Peppers, mushrooms and carrots...Everything had its turn in the oven.

Saving the best for last, I grabbed the two butternuts that my brother-in-law grew up in NH that had been hanging out in the garage these past few months.


I gutted those suckers for a seed save to plant later this year.





When you roast a butternut they taste kinda like sweet potato fries. Yum.

So that was my rainy day. How about yours?

2 comments:

  1. A great use of a rainy day, for sure! The easiest way to cook veg, IMO.

    I've been working on getting little bits and bobs done inside on those days, so that when the sun is shining, I can be outdoors.
    Spring is in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No rain for us so far just cold, windy and damp. Some of our pitifully small amount of snow on the ground has melted during the sunny days so we could be fooled into thinking we're going to have an early spring. Ha! Never seems to actually pan out that way. But love the reminder of how good roasted veggies always taste. I'm gonna do that for one of our dinners this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete