"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Thursday, March 4, 2021

Peas Are In

 Our forecast is for nothing but sunshine and temperatures in the 60's for the next 10 days!  Let's say goodbye to gloomy February and welcome Spring in the Carolina's by planting peas.

I went out and pulled away a row using the hoe. The soil was nice a crumbly (shock) until I got to the last 5 feet which seemed more water slogged.  I'm pretty happy with how good the soil looked. Seems like my one year on / one year off is working.

I love any kind of pea but my absolute favs are sugar and snow.

So excited to begin the gardening season.  

Next up?  Lettuce.  I'm undecided if I want to plant in-ground or in pots that I can move around. Lettuce bolts by mid-May because of the heat.  I'm wondering if I plant it in a pot and move the pot to the cooler side of the house when things start to heat up, if I can extend production.  

Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. Yep, I'm sure your lettuce in pots would last longer into your hot season. I've even had warm enough weather in mid-summer that I've put a shade cloth cover on a raised bed of lettuce in order to encourage it to keep producing in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely try growing in pots, as I have done that successfully. Maybe you could plant some on the side of the peas for afternoon shade as well? It would be fun to try it both ways and see how it goes. You might want to try a variety of lettuce called Jericho, as I have a friend in Florida who swears it doesn't bolt easily, even in the summer!

    These late winter days have been such a blessing. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm...Interesting. I'll keep that in mind, Daisy.

    ReplyDelete