"No you didn't." I said accepting his good morning kiss.
"But everything was on my side of the bed." SM protested.
"That's because I threw everything over on to you, I get so hot." I replied.
"You don't look like you're hot now." SM says noticing that I've got a pullover on.
"Yeah, that's what's weird about it. I get the random hot flash here and there but I can guarantee that between midnight and 6am I'll be tossing and turning in a sweat."
"Glad I'm not a girl." SM says making his coffee. "Are you going to get on hormones?"
"I'm going to try not to, although Natalie (a friend) says it stopped her hot flashes. I just don't think I'm miserable enough to want to consider HRT yet."
Since we'd had that conversation, I figured I'd better get educated so I googled the pros and cons of HRT. Which said that you should try to stay off them unless your symptoms are moderate to severe.
So I googled Peri-menopause symptoms and came across this blog.
35 Symptoms of Peri menopause
- Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes, clammy feeling
- Irregular heart beat
- Mood swings, sudden tears
- Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)
- Irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods; heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles
- Loss of libido
- Dry vagina
- Crashing fatigue
- Anxiety, feeling ill at ease
- Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom
- Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion
- Disturbing memory lapses
- Incontinence, especially upon sneezing, laughing; urge incontinence
- Itchy, crawly skin
- Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons
- Increased tension in muscles
- Breast tenderness
- Headache change: increase or decrease
- Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea
- Sudden bouts of bloat
- Exacerbation of existing conditions
- Increase in allergies
- Weight gain
- Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body; increase in facial hair
- Dizziness, vertigo, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance
- Changes in body odor
- Electric shock sensation under the skin and in the head
- Tingling in the extremities
- Gum problems, increased bleeding
- Burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, change in breath odor
- Osteoporosis (after several years)
- Changes in fingernails: softer, crack or break easier
- Tinnitus: ringing in ears, bells, ‘whooshing,’ buzzing etc.
Well, crap. I guess I'd better raise my expectations a bit. It sounds delightful though doesn't it?
Anyway, I also went online looking to see if there was such a thing as cool sheets and pillows. And there are! Check this out. Has anyone tried this stuff?
We sleep on a memory foam mattress that is supposed to already adapt to your body's temperature. But I have a mattress pad on it. I wondered if THAT was making me hot. So I took it off and guess what! I've slept better that past 2 nights than I have in months. The heat from the bed drove me away and I would end up sleeping on the couch. I still wake up warm from time to time but no sweats.
Coincidence? Maybe. Time will tell but it's been wonderful actually getting a couple of good nights sleep.