"Getting rid of everything that doesn’t matter allows you to remember who you are. Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are."

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Hanging In There

First...A bit of history.

SM and I moved to North Carolina in July of 1998.  

SM moved down first in March and lived in an apartment that the company he worked for provided while I stayed up in Ohio working, showing the house and packing things up.

Once I'd completed my notice, I came down in the begining of June to start house hunting and my first thought was "Holy sh*t, we made a mistake."

I had left the mild June weather of Ohio and walked into a Carolina inferno.  Every stinking day of the 2 weeks I was here was over 100 degrees.  I was in shock.  Was this normal?  I was assurred it was not but still...Wow.

I pointed out to SM the other day that this June is very similar to that one.  We've been around 100 degrees everyday for this past week and the long term shows us staying that way through the 4th of July.

The garden is still hanging in there but no longer producing new fruit.  (Except for the squashes for some reason.)  The beans have blooms but few beans.  The same with the tomatos.  The cukes are withering.   

I water everyday (unless by some miracle we get a pop-up) but I feel the plants are kicking into survival mode and it likely won't be too much longer before I start to see them stress. 

I'm curious to see when I'll throw in the towel and in what order I'll stop bothering to water and just let it go.  I've already let one section of beans go since the plants are young and puny.

I find that a certain lethargy is settling in.  These are the days of staying indoors where it's cool (Thank God for the AC) and afternoon naps.  I don't even mind going into work right now.  

At least it's cool there.

 Image result for hot weather funny
 
 

8 comments:

  1. I know that we grew up without A/C, but man-o-man, what would I do without it now!? I walk to work (although that may not last much longer because of the heat), and the first thing I say when I walk in the door is, "I LOVE this place!" Not necessarily because of being at work, but because of being in a place with air conditioning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know what you mean. I thought we left this nasty weather back in Florida. But, I know it'll pass and doesn't last for months on end. Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya. This is the time of year that is difficult for me because I have to spend so much time indoors. It's kinda like the opposite of cabin fever in the winter up north. I've found that the key to growing down here in the summer is to use heat-tolerant varieties and plant in whatever shade you can find. The choices are a bit limited, but you can't fight it. I have used old window screens to shield the crops and make sure to check for moisture every day.
    We are so grateful for our A/C. Hang in there, Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plus the bugs start coming out in this heat. It's always something isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, we have been getting your rain plus high 90 degree heat => sauna! Almost daily thunder boomers around 6:00. The rain barrel is over flowing. Half the time the power goes out. I finally cried uncle after living in this house about 10 years...we just signed a contract for a whole house generator...but it will take about 1 1/2 weeks due to the back log.

    I try to do some yard work in the morning but the bugs are crazy! This morning it will be pick up sticks from the last storm. This is northern Virginia in the summer, but first, my second cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're getting more heat than usual and we're remaining cooler than usual. Thanks very much, but I'll stick with the challenges of gardening in our lack of warmth. In your climate, I wouldn't be able to garden because I'd be nothing but a yucky, sticky, puddle of crankiness. Hang in there, friend. Your heat can't last more than a couple more months. Or so. :o/

    ReplyDelete
  7. For your most precious plants, try adding some bark mulch. Or cover with some hessian / shadecloth. Watering at night / early morning is the best - that will allow your plants to drink before the heat of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oy. That temperature would do me in. Pop my corn, if you will (love that cartoon!) Once the thermometer rises above 80, I am done for. Let's hope you (and your garden) get some relief soon. How are the pups holding up?

    ReplyDelete